Do you want to make a difference in the world? Would you like to join a group of dedicated, professional change-makers who come to work every day to do just that? As a social enterprise, we believe that business can and should be a powerful force for positive social change.
The Redwoods Group is not a traditional insurance company. We aim to make the world a better place through the inspired application of insurance data and a deep commitment to the broad communities within which we live and serve. We tackle very serious issues with very serious stakes—from child sexual abuse to drowning and other accidents. Insurance is the means to fulfilling our mission to Serve Others.
For us, financial profit is important, but only as a metric of sustainability. We are a hybrid nonprofit and for-profit company called a B Corp (or benefit corporation). By providing property, casualty, and workers’ compensation insurance products alongside management consulting services to YMCAs, Jewish Community Centers, Boys and Girls Clubs and non-profit resident camps across the nation, we help reduce injuries and save lives. We are passionate about making the world a safer place.
The Redwoods Group is currently seeking a full-time Senior Underwriter to join us in our Research Triangle Park office to help us achieve our vision of reinventing insurance to create communities where people are safe.
- Develop business relationships for an overall assigned geographic territory or customer segment
- Responsible for a plan of action for each renewal and prospective customer
- Travel or hold virtual meetings to meet with brokers and customers in efforts of developing strong and lasting partnerships
- Partner with our internal Consulting Team and Claims Departments to fully understand trends associated with territories or accounts, as well as to, collaborate on account strategy
- Solicit and screen available opportunities to quote new business
- Assess the risk of loss for each customer, using multiple sources of data, and set rates and coverage terms accordingly
- Negotiate and establish commission with brokers
- Gather, analyze and understand competitive data
- Analyze and advise on contract wording
Candidates should meet the following qualifications:
- Experienced professional who believes in the ability to use business as a force for social good and can communicate our impact to both partners and community stakeholders
- Advanced underwriting technical skills and deep understanding of the insurance industry
- Leadership abilities that make it possible to present Redwoods’ unique business model to our brokers and customers, both in person and on the phone
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as the ability to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Effective, positive team player guided by high ethical standards
- Well organized, resourceful, and effective in choreographing relationships to move things forward
- Bachelor’s Degree is required and AU or CPCU (or equivalent) recommended
- 10+ years of underwriting experience preferred
The Redwoods Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.