For us, financial profit is important, but only as a metric of sustainability. We are a hybrid non-profit and for-profit company called a B Corp (or benefit corporation). By providing property, casualty, and workers’ compensation insurance products alongside management consulting services to YMCAs, Jewish Community Centers, Boys and Girls Clubs, and non-profit resident camps across the nation, we help reduce injuries and save lives. We are passionate about making the world a safer place.
The Redwoods Group is currently seeking a full-time Commercial Property and Casualty Underwriter to join us in our Research Triangle Park, North Carolina office to help us achieve our vision of creating safe communities for all through mission-aligned insurance.
- Develop strategy (plan of action) for an overall assigned geographic territory or customer segment and for each renewal account and prospective new customer
- Responsible for traveling or holding virtual meetings, to meet with brokers and customers in efforts of developing strong and lasting partnerships; Up to 10 visits per year depending on territory
- Partner with our internal Consulting team and Claims team to fully understand trends associated with territories or accounts, as well as, collaborate on account strategy
- Solicit and screen available opportunities to quote new business
- Using multiple sources of data, assess the risk of loss for each customer and set rates and coverage terms accordingly
- Negotiate and establish commission with brokers
- Gather, analyze and understand competitive data
- Analyze and advise on contract wording
- Demonstrate leadership abilities that make it possible to present Redwoods’ unique business model to our brokers and customers, both in-person and on the phone
- Be a part of our social enterprise and learn the skills to communicate this impact to our partners and community
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as the ability to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment
Candidates should meet the following qualifications:
- Highly motivated and dependable professional who believes in the ability to use business as a force for social good
- Bachelor’s Degree is required and AU or CPCU (or equivalent) recommended
- 2+ years of underwriting experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills are must
- Commitment to high ethical standards of behavior and performance is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, along with strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to understand how claims handling and risk management are instrumental in the Underwriting process
The Redwoods Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.