Training Topics for After-School Programming
In order to run an effective after-school program, it is important that all staff are adequately trained. This includes not just during onboarding training, but frequently throughout the season. We recommend a particular focus on:
- Reviewing and signing a code of conduct and relevant policies
- Setting clear expectations for sign-in and sign-out procedures, including keeping youth occupied during transition times
- Bathroom supervision protocols, especially as they relate to preventing peer-to-peer abuse
- Bullying prevention and conflict resolution, including an emphasis on discussing how bullying can escalate to abuse
- Identifying and responding to red flag behaviors, both in staff to youth interactions, and peer-to-peer interactions also
Below is a list of our training courses and short training activities that you can use during your staff meetings:
- The Redwoods Institute: Peer-to-Peer Sexual Abuse Prevention at Camp & Facilitator Guide *
- Training & Facilitator Guide: Use with your staff in order to teach effective prevention and response strategies.
- Short Activity: Use at your next staff meeting to help educate and empower staff to prevent bullying and peer-to-peer abuse.
- The Redwoods Institute: Child Sexual Abuse Prevention *
- Code of Conduct Flashcards: Use at your next staff meeting to discuss their understanding of child protection “non-negotiables” and how they apply in their daily context.
- Scenarios: Use at your next staff meeting to discuss different situations staff may find themselves in when working with youth.
- The Redwoods Institute: Bullying Prevention at Camp & Facilitator Guide *
- Scenarios: Use at your next staff meeting to help them identify when a situation is considered bullying, and when it is considered normal peer-to-peer conflict.
- The Redwoods Institute: School-Aged Childcare Safety *
- Team Talk: Use at your next staff meeting to facilitate a discussion around how staff can make sure that all youth are supervised at all times.
* Please note that The Redwoods Institute is only available to our insurance customers.