Off-Site Aquatic Assessment: Questions to Consider
When picking out a venue to host off-site aquatic programming, we suggest that you go visit it in-person first. Below, we’ve created a list of specific questions that you can ask the location/facility. We encourage you to download and print the document above to use when vetting a potential off-site location.
Age & Skill
- Are the facilities’ activities age and skill-level appropriate?
- Is the deep end clearly marked with a float rope or other demarcation?
Lifeguard Availability & Training
- Are there certified lifeguards at the facility?
- Are there enough certified lifeguards to effectively guard all activities and areas of the water?
- Do the lifeguards go through regular in-service training?
- Are the lifeguards properly positioned to see all areas of the water?
- Are any special elements (slides, etc.) properly guarded and supervised?
- What are the facilities’ safety-response mechanisms?
- Does the facility have the proper equipment needed in the event of an emergency? (First aid stations, AED, oxygen, rescue tubes, etc.)
- Does the facility swim test? If not, can we perform that upon arrival?
- Does the facility have enough life jackets of appropriate sizes for the youth in our programs? If not, can we bring our own?
- Will we be able to have a strong, comprehensive contract with the facility?
- Will the contract provide favorable risk transfer/indemnification?