Sample Camp Training Schedule
Ongoing staff training is a critical piece in making sure that a culture of safety is implemented throughout the summer. This sample camp training schedule includes 9-weeks of suggested topics in the areas of: Camper safety and child abuse prevention, aquatics safety and program safety. Each of these topics provides an opportunity for staff to prepare for situations they may be faced with over the summer. Document and record each training over the summer so you can identify who attended and who may need additional support. Documentation can also help inform training for the next summer. Please adapt this schedule to fit your organization’s needs.
Download the sample schedule above.
Below we have gathered resources to accompany the sample topics listed in the schedule.
- Field Trips & Transportation
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Training
- Peer-to-Peer Abuse Prevention
- Training Your Team to Prevent Peer-to-Peer Abuse
- Preventing Peer-to-Peer Abuse: Supervision as a Line of Defense (American Camp Association)
- Bullying Versus Conflict
- Bullying Versus Conflict Scenarios
- Four Rule Poster
- Bathroom Safety
- Locker Room Safety
- What to Watch for in Preventing Child Sexual Abuse
- Supervision and Behavior Management
- Behavior Management Training
- Engaged Supervision
- Risk Management: Supervising the Young Supervisor (American Camp Association)
- Behavior Management on Steroids: How to Turbocharge Reinforcements and Consequences to Change Kids’ Behavior (American Camp Association)
- Wrapping Up