Unstaffed 24 Hour Facilities: Questions to Consider
If your organization is considering opening up your facility 24/7, please read our guidance on Unstaffed 24 Hour Facility Access.
Having taken that guidance into account, if your organization is still considering providing 24/7 access, below are some questions to consider first:
- Will the facility be open 24/7 for operation? If not, how many hours of planned operation will there be?
- Will it be staffed?
- Who are you serving in the community with this option?
- How do you see this option meeting the mission of the organization?
- What activities will the person have access to at the facility?
- Weight room, fitness room, cardio room, locker room, gym, pool, etc.
- How will you restrict access to only the members?
- Can you identify that only the member is using the facility?
- If there is damage to the facility, can you identify who was in the facility in the overnight hours?
- How will you monitor the number of members being served?
- Will all members sign waivers, and have you modified your waiver to address this exposure?
- Will you have staff randomly monitor the facility during the overnight hours?
- Are all areas monitored by cameras, including outside entrance and interior areas in the facility?
- Are rules for the use of the facility clearly defined and prominently posted?
- Are there emergency buttons/notification systems— to a central station—available for the members to use in the event of an emergency?
- Do you have protocols established for responding to emergencies?
- Will there be times when only one person is in the facility?
- If someone is alone in the facility, how will they get assistance?
- Is there a Code of Conduct for members to agree to before they can have access to a 24-hour unstaffed facility?
- If you have a residence facility, do you restrict access to the fitness area portion of the facility by residents? Are residents able to come and go from the facilities?
- Is security provided for the residence portion of building for all hours?